How NCCU Can Internationalize Using Creative Capitalism: 9 Strategies for Thought

建立校內教職員生對國際化議題進行意見交流、分享的平台<br>
A platform for the faculty to share opinions on international issues
johnney
Site Admin
文章: 1737
註冊時間: 4月 週二 08, 2014 4:16 pm

How NCCU Can Internationalize Using Creative Capitalism: 9 Strategies for Thought

文章johnney » 12月 週一 31, 2007 2:32 pm

Liang Yuxian Eugene (梁煜銜) ( 95305086)
Business Adminstration Year 2

How NCCU Can Internationalize Using Creative Capitalism:
9 Strategies for Thought

The term "Creative Capitalism" was publicized when Bill Gates, Chairman of Microsoft, delivered his commencement speech to the graduating class of Harvard 2007. Bill gates argued that many cures or medicines for diseases were not being produced or sold to the people in the third world country largely because the market does not reward supplier for doing so. Hence, the issue of human beings dying from diseases in third world country remains unsolved.

Creative capitalism, in my point of view and for our purpose, is to make use of market forces to reward people who are in favor of internationalization and people who contributed to the process.

Internationalization refers to a process of being more "international". I would prefer to refer the meaning of internationalization similar to globalization. It is difficult to give a correct definition of "internationalization" for our purpose, but it should have some of the following characteristics:

• having a healthy ratio of foreign students to local students
• willingness to accept non-local views
• being foreigner friendly
• greater use of English
• global mindset of students : are we able to see issues from various perspectives, in terms of cultures, religion, beliefs?
• willingness to accept internationalization
• having a healthy ratio of foreign professors to local professors
• having a healthy ratio of foreigners to locals.
• a good ability of students ( and school management ) to integrate with foreigners

If you look at internationalized schools, such as Harvard, Stanford, MIT, all of them seem to have all the above characteristics. I personally believe that the "people" aspect is the most important, such as whether the people have a global mindset, willingness to mix with people of foreign culture etc.

In this paper, I will attempt to describe and suggest some key strategies that make use of market forces, to achieve our goal of internationalization. There are 3 broad categories: direct rewards, making it easy for interested parties to participate, and collective intelligence
1) Rewarding and Acknowledging People Who Favor And Contribute To Internationalization

Sell benefits of Internationalization
While the benefits of internationalization are obvious, are we able to sell the benefits of internationalization to our current NCCU students, and encourage them to kick start the process of internationalization?

For instance, from the school's management point of view, the benefits should be obvious, which can come in monetary awards, such as promotion, pay-rise,

For instance, can we give students the due recognition for their contribution to internationalization? Such benefits from the students’ viewpoints, might be to give the student some of tangible recognition where it can be used to give them competitive advantage over their peers. Such as, writing them recommendation letters for their contribution to internationalization.

Attract and Keep Talents Who Share the Values Of Internationalization
There is a need for us to get students of not only academic excellence, but also share the belief of internationalization. The future incoming students of NCCU, should be prepared and willing to contribute to the internationalization process.
For instance, throughout the course of selection process, we can request incoming students to do a short write-up about the benefits of internationalization for NCCU, and also, what suggestions do they have for NCCU in terms of internationalization.

The benefits of such a strategy is obvious : we can discover who are the ones who are truly interested to contribute to our internationalization process, two, we have a higher chance of getting students of higher quality, since the process of thinking through the strategy is a higher-level thinking process.

2) Making It Easy For People To Contribute

Integrating Technology: How NCCU can leverage on the Blogging Phenomenon
We should make it easy for interested parties to contribute and even write comments to some of the issues with regards to internationalization. For example, the school management can help by writing blogs on some of the plans and execution of the internationalization process, while allowing students to provide instant feedback.

Blogs have grown to become a very flexible form of medium for various uses. Let’s take a look at some of the ways on how blogging can help us for our purpose:

 Benefit #1: Easier To Read. One of the most important reasons for blogging to be popular is it's ease of reading. By writing in an informal manner, it would be easier for interested parties or readers to identify with the process of internationalization.

 Benefit #2: Saves You Time. The user-friendly content management system of a blog, such as Wordpress, allows us to publish your contents easily. As we know that the school management is busy, this would help them greatly.

 Benefit #3: Build A Community of Interested Parties. Communicating with interested parties allows you to develop rapport with them. You can have a one way communication by just writing posts on various topics, or a two way communication by allowing them to post comments and ask questions. This would allow easier spreading of ideas.
 Benefit #7: Humanize Our Process. As the natures of blogs are informal, this would ease communication and encourage instant feedback. As most blogging tools allows readers to post comments, it would be very easy to collect feedback.
3) Collective Intelligence Version 2.0
This call for paper is a form of collective intelligence, I first wrote about this idea during one of the exams at Organization Behavior. Allow me to explain what I mean by Collective Intelligence using an example.
Collective Intelligence is about numbers and economies of scale, the more you have, the more benefits you receive. For instance, in this situation, IEE called for ideas and suggestions on how NCCU can internationalize. Assuming each person (student or school management) produces one idea, and out of all the ideas, only 1% is great suggestions, than we would have 152 great suggestions, as compared to only 6.28 suggestions if the students were not involved.
This means, the greater the number of people participating in the process of Internationalization, the greater the number of good ideas and higher possibility of success.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Collective Intelligence Version 2.0. In Collective Intelligence Version 2.0, I would like to apply this concept on various levels :

i) Department level
For example, since different departments have their own unique strengths, we can ask for suggestions from all departments. For instance, the suggestions collected from the BA department should have differences in views and perspectives from other departments.
The benefits would be that we have an all rounded suggestions/ideas so that we can have the best possible ideas.
ii) Student body / competition.
Same as i)
iii) Role Of NCCU Alumni
The alumni may help in terms of defining what internationalization means. Also, try to find out if they are interested in hiring talents from NCCU, especially people who have an "internationalized" mindset.

Conclusion
While the route to internationalization may be tough, we have the benefits of modern technology which can help us achieve our goal using less time. Also, we need have the advantage of following successful internationalized schools, such as Harvard or Stanford. I hope that the above mentioned ideas would help NCCU in our quest towards a truly international school.

回到「國際化論壇 Internationalization Forum」