Re: IEE wants to hear you!

國際學生政大或台灣留學經驗分享交流<br>
A platform for international students to share experience of studying in Taiwan or NCCU
johnney
Site Admin
文章: 1737
註冊時間: 4月 週二 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Re: IEE wants to hear you!

文章johnney » 2月 週四 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Dear,

Many thanks to the IEE for giving international students a chance to share their opinions and concerns. I think it is a good way for the IEE to find out what it is doing right or wrong, and to build on strengths and to make improvements where necessary. I hope many students respond so you can get the information you need. Here are my thoughts:

I first heard of NCCU in 2004 when I was looking through a list of universities in Taiwan that offered undergraduate programs. I asked many Taiwanese friends about NCCU and was told that it was one of Taiwan's top universities especially in two of the areas in which I am interested; Communications and Diplomacy.

I checked out NCCU's website, and visited the school myself to find out more information. During my search I learned about the IUP and it sounded very attractive. I chose NCCU because the two years of English taught courses allowed for a gradual transition to taking courses taught in Mandarin. The other universities did not have similar programs and it would have been impossible for me to understand anything because I had only studied one year of Chinese at the time.

Since enrolling in NCCU a year and a half ago there have been ups and downs, but I still feel I made the right choice. The environment is perfect for studying. There is little distraction since the campus is not in the main business district of Taipei city. The facilities are good and the libraries and computer centers provide everything that students need. I have also found that most of the professors and staff of academic departments are professional and try to help international students to the best of their ability. There are some professors that are too rigid and make no effort to accommodate students needs but I think these are in the minority since I have not met many like that. Some of my friends have complained about rudeness from some administrative staff but I have not had this experience.

The wide variety of international students from every continent and region of the world makes study life very interesting and allows student to gain a global education experience. Also, the extra-curricular activities at NCCU such as the many student clubs and the activities organized by Student Ambassador, help to provide social and cultural experiences for international students. This gives students an education that is not only academically focused but well-rounded.

One of the things I like least about NCCU is the dormitory accommodation which greatly falls short of international standards. I know that most international students share my view on this. The dormitories are cheap but international students are willing to pay more for better facilities. We would like more space. Unlike local students we do not have the option of bringing only the things we need to the dorm and leaving the rest at home or somewhere else. If we move to the dorm we have to bring everything we own. In the case of students who have been in Taiwan for at least a year and have been renting apartments we usually have many things. So the lack of space is definitely a problem and if at least some storage facility could be provided even at a cost that would be a great help. We would also like the option of private rooms regardless the cost. Also, some cooking facilities are necessary.

Finally, NCCU has done well by introducing the IUP program but there are not enough required courses offered in English. Because of this, most students are going to have a heavy load of required courses in the final two years. It would be best if all the required courses for the first and second year could be offered in English so that in the third and fourth year students don't have to worry about the courses they have not yet taken.

That's all I have to say for now. I hope you find my opinions and suggestions useful.

Jeana Noel

回到「國際學生經驗分享區 Experience Sharing for International Student」